VMware documentation / Setting up and management of virtual machines and vApp / How to deploy new virtual machine from scratch
How to deploy new virtual machine from scratch
In order to create new Virtual machine you have either to create a new vApp container or add new VM into existing one.
1. In the My Cloud tab click on star sign (Build new vApp).
2. Set name of virtual machine inside the new window. If necessary, in the section Leases a time can be set when virtual machines inside that container will be automatically powered off (Runtime Lease) and a term after which virtual machines of that vApp will be “frozen” (Storage Lease) and listed in the tab Expired Items. Term indicated in the Storage Lease starts after the end of term indicated in Runtime Lease. Click on Next.
3. In the tab Add Virtual Machines choose the option New Virtual Machine. Click on Next.
4. In the new window New Virtual Machine parameters of new virtual machine must be set:
- name (Virtual Machine Name);
- name which will be shown inside the gust OS while customization (Computer Name);
- description if necessary (Description);
- type and exact name of operating system to be installed. CentOS, for example;
- RAM and HDD size;
- total number of CPU cores for the VM (Number of virtual CPUs);
- number of cores per virtual socket (for Linux 1 core per socket is recommended).
Parameters set automatically. We do not recommend to change them:
- version of virtual machine container (Virtual hardware version);
- type of virtual disks bus (Bus type). It has nothing to do with types of HDD's (SAS, SATA, VSAN).
- Number of virtual network interfaces (Number of NICs). We recommend to set 1 if there are no extraordinary needs.
5. New virtual machine appears in the progress list of vApp. Click Next.
6. In the tab Configure Resources click onNext.
7. Make changes in the Computer Name field, if necessary. Then choose the network where virtual machine will be connected. Click on Next.
8. In the tab Configure Networking click on Next.
9. On the last tab Ready to Complete check thoroughly all previously selected settings of the virtual machine. Then click Finish.
10. Virtual machine is ready. You may proceed with Linux OS installation.
|« Get the Server OS Admin Password||How to create new vApp »|